Friday, December 18, 2009

An excerpt from The Memoirs of a Septuagenarian

"Grace was different from others in another important way. She was charming, kind and gentle, so much so that I kept looking for the other side of her nature to show up. Gradually, I came to realize that there wasn't any other side. She didn't have one set of ‘company manners’ to be used in public, and another set which she used in private. She was, like a pure gem, genuine all the way through."
- Maurice Mountain, Sr., writing about meeting the woman that would become his wife of over fifty years.

When my grandfather turned seventy, he sat down and wrote a memoir, which, over the past few years of my life I've turned to in attempts to get to know him as he passed away before I was old enough to realize what a gift grandparents could be. So often, I find myself caught in the traps of life, thinking long and hard, pawing through columns of metaphysical debates in the depths of the internet, only to find that the greatest wisdom that could be instilled upon me about life and love are right in front of me. I have always really liked that passage, but now as my skepticism towards the female gender mounts, I relax knowing that it will only serve to hold you back. Life may be a game of poker, but not everybody's bluffing.


No comments:

Post a Comment