Saturday, April 4, 2009

Jeff Wall

Jeff Wall has always amazed me. I don't usually buy into the whole art-scene hipster the-mundane-becomes-interesting-if-you-make-everything-in-focus sort of attitude, but Wall has always seemed to have some sort of intention and his essays come across with clear intent and skilled craftsmanship. His backlit transparencies are a sight to behold, and his work is, at first glance to an unaware eye, completely boring and out there, but upon second glance, you see this guy has done everything on purpose. He doesn't have a website, which baffles me, but his work is floating around the Internet. Here I've selected a piece of his work that I love. He remade a Hokusai (most people know him for: the Great Wave) woodblock print. This is from "A Sudden Gust of Wind" which is part of: 100 views of Mt. Fuji. Check it out:



© Jeff Wall

No comments:

Post a Comment